Sunday, February 10, 2008

29 - Answer(s)

Q: Brett Gobe - When the Patriots lose the Super Bowl, will the still be the greatest team ever?
A: I've never heard of a team called "The Still". As far as I know, no sports franchise in any major market is called "The Still", so I don't think they could be considered the greatest team ever. I mean, they have just as much right to be considered the greatest team ever if they exist but...

Oh, wait, that was a typo? Sorry, my bad.

During the ramp-up to the Super Bowl, many sports pundits were speaking of the 2007 Patriots as the greatest team ever. I will admit that I was one of those who was boasting about the greatness of my team. It was natural. I was proud, happy, and a cocky son of a bitch. Now, did I ever think during that time that the Patriots were the greatest team ever? Honestly? No. And not because the Patriots were not great. But "the greatest team ever" is too subjective of a question to be answered in such glib terms. To me it's just more hype, more talking by people paid to talk.

Of course, once the Patriots lost the Super Bowl (and bravo for calling that, Gobe, you bastard), all talk of "the greatest team ever" evaporated. Now "18-1" is the new mantra of the anti-Patriots fans. Does that loss diminish the greatness of the 2007 Patriots. Of course. But I don't think it diminishes it that much. Objectively speaking the 2007 Patriots were ONE OF the best teams ever. That is not and should not be in question. They broke a number of records on their way to an 18-1 season, which by the way is the best record in the NFL. Tom Brady and Randy Moss were an offensive duo the likes of which have not been seen since the days of Montana and Rice.

In the end, however, all anyone is going to be able to talk about is the loss in the Super Bowl. Is it significant? Of course. No team wants to lose the Super Bowl, especially if they were undefeated up until that point. But here's my answer to those who are gloating about the Patriots loss: call me when your team goes undefeated into the Super Bowl. I honestly doubt that we're going to see that again for at least another decade, maybe longer.

Q: Bill Jeffers - Who in the Jolinko crowd (or their partner) will be the next to get pregnant?
A: Bill, I'm going to put this question in the same category as the "who's the next to get married" question that you asked a year or so ago. As with that question, I'm going to punt. Both the decision to attempt to have children and the act of conception itself are very personal things in one's life. If I were to guess who is the next to get pregnant, I would be speculating about those very personal things in my friends' lives. I'm not going to do that. What you all do when you're not reading Jolinko is none of my business, and it would be wrong of me to speculate.

Sorry for not answering your question, Bill. Try again this week and I'll see what I can do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment