Tuesday, September 19, 2006

7 - Answer(s)

Q: Karyn Graves - What are you supposed to do with a tree that loses major branches in a storm?
A: Let me preface this answer by saying I'm not an expert in anything landscaping related. If people have better answers than me, please contact Karyn and lend her advice.

I did a bit of research, and found a few things out. Partly, the answer depends on how major the branches are. A tree can typically survive the loss of one or two "major" branches. Any more than that, and it becomes less likely that the tree will survive. You should trim the affected area to encourage the tree to heal. If the tree was reasonably healthy before the damage, then it's probable that it will survive. If more than half of the major branches are damaged or broken off, then the tree is less likely to survive. In that case you can wait it out and see if it recovers, or preemptively cut it down.

Here are some sites that provide more information:
National Arbor Day Foundation
NY State Department of Environmental Conservation
University of Minnesota Extension Service

Q: Brett Gobe: What is your secret ingredient in Tim Boss's 5 Alarm Smokehouse Chili?
A: I have actually never made chili before in my life. Not only that, I don't particularly like chili. Does this make me less of a man? Probably. But at least I'm honest about it.

If I were going to make chili, and I wanted to "spice it up", I would probably put some horseradish in it. Maybe some wasabi too, just for fun.

Q: Bill Jeffers - So how many dimensions are there REALLY?
A: Man, you had to ask a theoretical physics question, didn't you? Bastard. Anyway, the initial answer is that there are three dimensions in space (length, width, and depth), and that time is the fourth dimension. Beyond that it gets really complicated, and I won't even pretend to have a clue about this. I've read that there are 5, 10, 11, or 20 dimensions. What these are is above my current knowledge. But I'll tell you what, let me defer an answer to this question until next week. I'm curious about this topic, and I'd like to research it a bit more. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment