Thursday, November 16, 2006

15 - Answers

Q: Bill Jeffers - Black and Navy-still fashion faux pas or the new thing?
A: Didn't you used to work at Tuxedo Junction? Doesn't that make you more qualified to answer this question than me? I'm sorry, I'm answering your question with another question. That's not very useful of me.

I'm really not all that current on the latest in men's fashion (pants are still in, right?), but my impression is that black and navy together is just not right. Now, I'm not talking about wearing black pants and navy socks, or navy pants and black shoes. That's okay. But wearing black pants and a navy blazer is just wrong. I don't care if it's "the new thing" or not. It looks ugly. Is it a "faux pas"? Yes, I would say so.

Q: Joe Zaffarano - If a safe is unlocked, is it still a safe?
A: A safe can be basically defined as a container with a lock. This definition does not get into the state of the lock, merely that the lock exists. Therefore, the fact that a safe is unlocked does not make it not a safe. It is merely a state of the safe. So the answer to the question is yes, an unlocked safe is still a safe.

Q: Kevin Graves - Should I try learning a new musical instrument, or just stick to the drums?
A: Congratulations, Kevin. You win the award for best question this week. Let me first spin the story of the question (and please correct me if I get anything wrong). This question comes from a Pep Band Road trip to RPI. I think this was my Junior year, which would make it during Kevin's tenure as a graduate student. We were short a drummer for the trip, and so Kevin was lending a hand on the quads. He played some cheers and a couple of songs on the quads, and then switched back to his regular instrument (trumpet). After playing one song, a kid came up to Kevin and said in a serious and deadpan voice, "You should stick with the drums." The entire band was in stitches over this, and it became a running joke for months to come.

As far as your question, you should definitely stick with the drums. You already knew quite a bit about drumming when we played together in Pep Band, and rather than learning a totally new instrument, you should focus your energies on improving your drumming skills. And while you're at it, teach your son too :). The world can always use more drummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment